Mind. Blown. As I write this I’m licking the last of the chocolate from my fingertips, savoring every last little morsel of these rice crispy treats.
It all started innocently enough when I spotted a box of One Degree Organic Foods ‘Veganic Sprouted Brown Rice Cacao Crisps‘ at Whole Foods. Intrigued, I picked it up since I’ve been into all sorts of sprouted non-gluten grains lately. Then, I just so happened to pass through the aisle that contained the gluten-free bags of giant puffed marshmallows. You could say it was a lightbulb moment, and the inspiration was lit.
I promised Miss A that we would try out a chocolate rice crispy treat recipe soon, and after three days of being constantly hounded by the little persuader I caved. My next task was to find a good, healthy recipe – but all the options were either too commercial (the name brand rice krispy cereal with jet-puffs and nothing healthy added) or a little too healthy for the ingredients I had on hand (some recipes called for no marshmallows at all… blasphemy!). So, as per usual, I set out to make something myself, and this time I struck gold.
This recipe has all the ease of the commercial rice crispy treats, but it contains all organic, healthier versions of the traditional ingredients, plus a few healthy twists that make the treat-guilt melt riiiiight away. The crisps are sprouted brown rice with cacao, the marshmallows are the all-natural, simple kind (I use Elyon marshmallows, which can be found here). The chocolate drizzle on top is from organic, 60% cacao bittersweet chocolate chips, and I added organic coconut oil, organic sprouted hemp seeds, and organic chia seeds to the mix for a good fat, omega 3 and protein punch.
Side Note: My husband, who usually wrinkles his nose up when I make my healthy-hybrid versions of desserts (he claims the old school, full fat and sugar versions reign supreme), has been sneaking these chocolate rice crispy treats every time he passes the pan. For me, that is the true litmus test of a successful dessert, and with this one, I can proudly declare: mission accomplished.
- 2.5 bags of Elyon marshmallows (or 18 oz of other natural brand marshmallow)
- 1 box of organic sprouted brown rice cacao rice crisps (I used the One Degree Organic Foods brand, which is insanely crunchy and delicious; I highly recommend it – it can be found here)
- 1/4 cup organic chia seeds
- 1/3 cup organic sprouted hemp seeds
- 4 Tbls butter
- 2 Tbls organic coconut oil
- 1 cup organic 60% cacao bittersweet chocolate chips
- 2 tsp organic vanilla extract
- Melt 4 Tbls butter in a large pan
- If making the chocolate drizzle for the topping, spoon out one of the melted Tbls of butter into a small pot on the side
- Rip marshmallows into halves or thirds and add them to the butter, stirring over low-medium heat until marshmallows are fully melted and incorporated with butter
- Add 1 Tbls coconut oil and stir into marshmallow mixture
- Add chia seeds and hemp seeds to the marshmallow mixture and stir to incorporate
- Add cacao rice crisps to the mixture and fold them in until evenly distributed.
- Press into a 9×13″ baking pan (it makes it easier if you line with wax paper or aluminum foil, and grease with butter or coconut oil so they slide out. I made the mistake of NOT doing this, and I spent a good 20 minutes peeling each one off the tin foil base and inspecting them to ensure I wasn’t giving my kids a side of foil with their rice crispy treat). Another tip: don’t pack them down too much, since the less you pack them the fluffier they are when cooled.
- If you want to make them even more decadent, melt the chocolate chips over very low heat with the butter in the small pan; add 1 Tbls coconut oil and the vanilla extract
- Allow rice crispy treats to cool, and for an extra delicious touch drizzle the chocolate mixture over the top
- Devour – they are so, so good.